There are many tasks involved in moving. We have found that this list has helped our clients get through their move in an efficient timely manner.
Why put off until tomorrow, what you could do today?
4-6 Weeks Before Move:
Have an inventory session. Decide what to move, what not to move. ( Our crews can dispose of any unwanted items or deliver to charities) Make arrangements for trip (hotel/airline reservations, routing, etc.) Schedule a moving sale for items you won't move. Donate other items to charitable organizations (get receipt for tax records). Arrange for packing. We recommend you have Aaron's Reliable Movers do it for you. If you pack yourself, all of the necessary packing materials are available through Aaron's Reliable Movers. Gather personal records: medical, dental, school, birth, baptismal, marriage, etc. Arrange to send transcripts of school records in advance to new schools. Arrange with employer to forward tax withholding forms.
Make Arrangements to Discontinue or Transfer:
- Newspaper Delivery
- Water Softener Service
- Electricity (check for refund)
- Water Service
- Gas Service (check for refund) Fuel or oil delivery
- Garbage Collection
- Landscaping / Pool service
Mail Change of Address Cards To:
- Post Office
- Social Security Office Insurance Companies
- Credit Cards
- Friends and Relatives
- Mail-Order Accounts
2-3 Weeks Before Your Move:
- Fill and transfer prescriptions for family and pets. Pack them to travel with you.
- Arrange for shipment of plants and pets. Get immunization records for pets.
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammables (paints, paint removers, etc.) as they will be impossible to move.
1 Week Before Your Move:
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, plus allow thorough air-drying to prevent mildew. Arrange for disposal of frozen foods (sell, give away, or eat). Clean oven.
- Transfer checking and savings accounts.
- Drain fuel and oil from lawnmowers and other power equipment.
- Drain garden hoses.
- Pack items to be carried in car. Label "Do Not Move".
- Gather valuables from safe deposit box, drawers, jewelry cases, personal records. Pack safely to take with you.
- Send clothing, draperies, curtains, rugs out for cleaning and leave in wrapping. Take down curtain rods, shelves, TV antenna.
- Have car serviced for trip and have proof of insurance in car.
- Remember to pack a box of the basics you'll need on move-in day (tools, paper products, all-purpose household cleaners, etc.). Be sure to have it labeled load last , so it will be the first off.
- Pack suitcases for trip. Remove all bed linens.
- Be available to check items on inventory sheet.
- Conduct a last minute walk through with your crew foreman. Make sure windows are closed, closets empty, lights off and doors locked.
- Be available to check off items on the inventory as they are removed from the truck.
- We suggest you have a furniture arrangement layout pre-planned and have it posted close to the entrance of your new home.